Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Little Black Shirt

I started a new project today. One of my most favorite shirts got caught on something recently and suffered a devastating tear. I've racked my brain for some way to repair it that would preserve it's basic stately appearance and maintain its position as a mainstay in my wardrobe. Alas, I've had to admit defeat. There is just no way to stitch it up, patch it or camouflage it to keep it presentable. I've pronounced it dead.

I let myself wallow in sadness and grief for a day or two. I've tried to convince myself it was "nothing special." It wasn't expensive. It wasn't extremely unique or different. It was a plain, black jersey knit top with long sleeves and a round neck. It was tunic length with side slits at the hips. It was the shirt version of the Little Black Dress. It went with jeans for a pizza dinner or could be paired with a skirt or dress slacks and jewelry and could go anywhere. With a fancy scarf, it could be downright dressy! It fit well and was super comfy. I shall miss it terribly.

I looked for a new one just like it, to no avail. Neither Simplicity nor McCalls has a pattern for the exact same top. I tried to bring myself to throw it away. Suddenly, a light bulb went off in my head -- I can clone it!!!

I've spent the day snipping stitches on all the seams. I am making a pattern using the actual shirt and I hope to make an exact duplicate. I've never done this before (cloning, that is), but how hard could it be? Maybe I'll even make a blue one, too. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to snip those tiny black stitches on the black fabric. Who knew that cheap top was so well made!

So, go out there an be creative, too. Remember to consider ALL the possibilities.

No comments: