Friday, April 10, 2009

Fried Fish Recipe

Okay, I promised a recipe for Fried Fish.

(Just because I don't enjoy eating fish doesn't mean I can't cook it. Besides, this works just as well when frying scallops and I DO like them.)

You'll need a heavy skillet (or a deep fat fryer), 4 fish fillets (catfish, pollack, haddock, any light fish) (you can also use 1 lb of sea scallops), 1/4 seasoned bread crumbs (or 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal), Cajun seasoning to taste, 2-3 eggs, hot sauce of your choice, oil for the fryer (I generally use Canola oil but, if you have it, peanut oil is wonderful!) (My m-i-l prefers "shortening." It's her secret to great cooking.)

Heat the oil to frying temp. Beat the eggs and a few drops of hot sauce together in a small deep bowl. Add Cajun seasoning (to taste) to the bread crumbs or cornmeal and mix well in another small deep bowl. Pat the fillets (or scallops) dry with a paper towel. Dip each fillet into the egg mixture and then dredge in the dry mixture. (I like to repeat this procedure twice although once is actually sufficient.) If using a skillet, fry the fillets until golden brown on bottom side and then flip to brown the top side. If using a deep fryer, let fish stay submerged until golden brown. Drain on paper towel to collect excess grease.

****Serve with hush puppies or corn bread, a green veggie like string beans and maybe some apple sauce.

1 comment:

FlightFancy said...

I'm going to have to try this one out! sounds sooo good.