Monday, July 6, 2009

Just another sleepy Monday

Well, it was back to the old grind today. Or, at least it was supposed to be. I just couldn’t get my act together today. There was absolutely no motivation at all. I did most of the necessities but not all the stuff I should have done. We’ve got overnight guests arriving tomorrow morning again and I did nothing to prep for them except a little grocery shopping. I guess it’ll be a busy morning tomorrow.

The most important omission of the day was not working on my Etsy shop at all. I hardly even looked at it. There’s plenty to do like taking some photos, listing some of my new items and actually making more stock. In an attempt to justify my laziness today, I reminded myself I don’t like to list on Mondays. It seems so many people block load on Mondays that single items get lost immediately in the hubbub. I usually don’t list more than one item per day. However, I could have worked on production or at least done some promotional work. Nope, I was just lazy. No other explanation.

----------------
A few months back, I told you I was trying an experiment to see how well Twitter worked for promotional purposes. I have to admit, it does get me views. I still believe more views will lead to more sales - eventually. I do now have one sale that found their way to my site through Twitter.

I will admit I do not spend all day sending Twitter notes. I try to do a few in the morning and a few sometime later in the day but I try to keep actual promotional plugs down to between 20% - 25% of my total Tweets for any one day. After all, it is a social network not a sales machine.

I also do not go out in search of Followers with all my energy. I know this flies in the face of my theory on more views = more sales as the standard train of thought is more Followers = more people to view your site. I just don’t think the various folks out there trying to push dating services, money making schemes, online marketing techniques, etc. are my target audience. I do pick and choose those folks I want to follow by reading their profiles and reviewing their recent posts. I have also chosen to unfollow a number of people whose messages push products or activities I am definitely not interested in, or spend all their time discussing dating, singles bars, etc. as I have nothing in common with them and I don’t think they are part of that target population I am going for. Some just get on my nerves by aimlessly posting the same one line sentence numerous times a day. I do have some faves that I do look forward to reading and have developed some dialogue with and I enjoy their posts.

All in all, I’m just not sure it is an efficient marketing tool. I plan to continue it for a while longer as I do enjoy posting there but I’m not sure it’s worthwhile from the business vantage point. If you’d like to follow me on Twitter, click here.

--------------------
I’m told I need to be active on Facebook now, too. I have a Facebook account but have not been active. At the moment, I just haven’t had the time. Maybe that will be my next universe to conquer.

---------------------

In the meantime, I’m planning to conquer the laundry in the morning and do a little straightening up before my company arrives. If I get up early, I could paint a bit, too!


Here’s hoping you were all a lot more creative and productive than me today.

1 comment:

Sweets and Hearts said...

i know what you're going through! until today, i hadn't really listed anything in a couple of weeks. i've been going through this weird etsy slump where i just didn't feel like making anything new or promoting the things i had listed. creative dry spell AND laziness. good luck! maybe you just need new inspiration (i know i do).