Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Another TV Icon Lost

Not Mr. C, too!!! It's been a traumatic week.

First, we lost June Cleaver and now, Howard Cunningham (Richie's dad)! Tom Bosley passed today at the age of 83 - another great loss to TV's fine history of parenthood! If you're old enough to remember some of his prior incarnations, Tom also rode herd on Charlie's Angels, was the trusted Father Frank Dowling and kept (or at least tried to) order in Cabot Cove as Sheriff Tucker, among many other roles in his long career. Though he never played the leading man, he was always a trusted and beloved strong supporting character.

Tom, when asked how he'd, like to be remembered, said : "He was a good husband, a great father and a damned good grandfather!" I'm sure he will be greatly missed by many. I know I will think of him often.

Who was your absolute favorite Dad on TV?

I know I'm showing my age but I always adored Steve Douglas (Fred McMurray) on My Three Sons. Never missed it. Funny, on the air from 1960 to 1972, that series has never resurfaced on TV Land, Nick at Nite or other similar stations. If you're too young to remember that series, he was the lead in the original Disney movies The Shaggy Dog, The Absent-Minded Professor and Son of Flubber. (All have since been remade.)

Hug your Dad today if you still enjoy his company. If he's no longer with us, think a pleasant thought about your time spent together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.