Friday, October 16, 2009

Pumpkin Cake, anyone?

There’s a chill in the air. All right, it’s downright cold out there today! So, I’m thinking Fall - you know, leaves falling outside, corn stalks and pumpkins on display, fires in the fireplace, and something really yummy on the table.

I’m thinking pumpkin flavor !!

Which leads me to my cousin’s pumpkin cake! It’s been one of her signature dishes for years now. I’m not sure where she originally found it but we refer to it as “Carole’s Pumpkin Cake.” It tastes heavenly (especially with cream cheese icing) and it has a light and fluffy texture. You’ve just got to try it!

Don’t tell her you heard it from me, but here’s the recipe:

Carole’s Pumpkin Cake

Grease and sugar an angel food cake or bundt pan.

Mix with whisk:
2 cups pumpkin
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water

Add and mix by hand:
3 ½ cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg

Bake at 325° for 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. Dust with powdered sugar.

** Great with cream cheese icing.

So, I’m off to buy some pumpkin and eggs so I can whip one of these up tonight, too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I love this time of year and a pumpkin cake sounds delicious! I'll have to try this out - thanks for sharing it!

Justine said...

This sounds delicious. I love this time of year and the wonderful smells of things baking :)

Justine

Delightful Perception said...

Thank you for sharing this! I totally printed it off and it is something I'll be making next week to eat with my kids while we carve our pumpkins. I'm so excited! :)

When you say "pumpkin" is it the canned pumpkin stuff or mashed up pumpkin??? Sorry- but I haven't made anything with "pumpkin" before. :)

Giftbearer said...

This cake sounds really good!

Ramblin Mama said...

Delightful - I just used plain (unseasoned) canned pumpkin, NOT "pumpkin pie filling".