Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday, Monday ....

So many times, I can't think of a thing to say here and there are days like today, when there are so many subjects rolling around in my head, I don't know where to start. (Wouldn't it be nice if there was more brain matter in there to keep all those random thoughts in their place?)
Super Bowl ...

First off, Congrats to the Green Bay Packers for doing what my Ravens couldn't - beat Big Ben and his gritty men of metal!! I'm sure you're all glad to have the Lombardi trophy back in town!

I'm not even going to comment on the musical entertainment. So much has already been said today. It's "like beating a dead horse" to use a cliche. Hey, NFL, bring back the old guys next year!

What was your favorite ad? I think the one I liked best was the Doritos spot where the house sitter brings back the dead goldfish, the shriveled up plant and even Grandpa (from his urn) simply by sprinkling a few Dorito crumbs on them. Apparently, that was just me as no one mentioned it today! I also liked the Darth Vader bit, too, which seemed to be the big winner on all the news and talk shows today. I think quite a few of the ads just went way too far to make a point. Story lines for a 30-second commercial were just so involved to get there, that I lost interest before I figured out what they were selling.

There was quite a bit of discussion about the Joan Rivers spot for GoDaddy.com. Apparently she tweeted something about that being her real body. Come on, folks, let's get real (pun intended). Was there really any question in your mind? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she was able to say it with a straight face. In fact, she probably couldn't make any other kind of face. What hasn't been botoxed, is really pulled nice and tight. On the other hand, possession is 9/10ths of the law, or so they say, and she is definitely a woman possessed (by something.)

As for today ...

I had a good shopping day. I actually got the nearest non-handicapped spot at FOUR different stores!! That almost never happens. I had extremely nice cashiers and even got a few excellent, yet unexpected, deals! The only bad thing was, I needed to go to three different stores to get the color yarn I needed for the Special Olympics scarves.

2011 Special Olympics Scarf Project ...
It was gray and damp here on Saturday, so I stayed in and made three scarves with hopes to make at least three more before the mailing deadline. I had only bought one skein of each color so my yarn supply was getting a bit low. I had bought the last skein of Turqua at Walmart on Friday so I didn't hold out much hope they'd restocked over the weekend. They didn't. Michael's was also sold out of those colors. AC Moore came through for me though with plenty of both colors on hand.

I hope the fact that it was hard to find means knitters and crocheters in my area are frantically working to help Maryland's Special Olympics meet their goal by their 2/18 deadline. I have set my mailing date as this coming Friday so they have time to get to their destination. I think I'll move on and make some for Virginia after that as their deadline is considerably later and they are way behind on their goal.

For more information about the project and how you can help, check out the website at www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org. They're also blogging at ScarvesForSpecialOlympics.wordpress.com and you can also find them on Facebook (Scarves For Special Olympics) and Twitter (USAScarfProject).

No comments: