Friday, August 27, 2010

And so, our trip began...

Home again, finally !!!

Our trip began with two days in Johnstown, PA attending the American Flood City Music Festival.
This is a family tradition with us through changes in festival venue, name and, lately, dates. For the second year in a row, organizers have changed the dates. Traditionally, this was always a 3-day event held on Labor Day weekend. It's still 3 days but they keep switching weeks. It's really hard to keep traditions alive when you can't count on the dates from year to year. There have been a few other changes which, in my opinion, have taken away from the event but, for now, we keep going back. We do have less enthusiasm to get there these days, though. This year, for the first time, we only attended one day of the event.

The weather was fantastic and, I hope, contributed to good attendance. While it was crowded, I still don't think they've come anywhere near the crowds they used to get on Labor Day weekend. Many folks used the festival weekend as a sort of homecoming over the holiday and still do as there is still another long-running festival at that time.We did catch several performances by a number of excellent entertainers on Saturday including Devon Allman, Duane Allman's son. His show was definitely worth sitting in the hot sun.
The big name at this year's event was Los Lobos, who performed on Friday night. We missed them but we did enjoy Los Straightjackets on Saturday. This was one of the tightest bands I've heard in a long time and is made up of excellent musicians. One quirky item: Everyone on stage, and even the sound men, are hidden by masks throughout the performance.
I took pictures of our little group enjoying the music that day.





















In this one of The Big Guy and I (Hours in the hot sun does nothing for my looks, believe me!), he thought I was smiling because I was with him.



But... here's what Mama was smiling at! Wouldn't you?

Funny, The Big Guy got me up and out of town before daylight the next day ! Can't a girl just window shop?

No comments: