Thursday, December 30, 2010

And then, the bills came.

***This is adapted from a piece that ran on the Humor Matters - Therapeutic Humor with Dr. Steve website published by Steven M. Sultanoff, Ph.D. I do not know when it originally ran and I have seen it copied a number of times. It always makes me smile. I hope you enjoy it, too.

A FEW DAYS AFTER CHRISTMAS

Twas a few days after Christmas, and all through the house,
Every creature was hurtin' even the mouse.

The toys were all broken, their batteries dead;
Santa passed out, with some ice on his head.

Wrapping and ribbons just covered the floor,
While upstairs the family continued to snore.

And I in my T shirt, new Reeboks and jeans,
Went into the kitchen and started to clean.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the sink to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the curtains and threw up the sash.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a little white truck, with an oversized mirror.

The driver was smiling, so lively and grand;
The patch on his jacket said "U.S. POSTMAN."

With a handful of bills, he grinned like a fox.
Then quickly he stuffed them in our mailbox.

Bill after bill, after bill, they still came.
Whistling and shouting, he called them by name;

"Now Dillard's, now Macy's, now Penny's and Sears -
Here's Robinson's, Levitz's, Target's and Bonwit's.

To the tip of your limit, every store, every mall,
Now charge away - charge away - charge away all."

He whooped and he whistled as he finished his work.
He filled up the box, and then turned with a jerk.

He sprang to his truck and he drove down the road,
Driving much faster with just half a load.

Then I heard him exclaim with great holiday cheer,
"ENJOY WHAT YOU BOUGHT .....
YOU'LL BE PAYING ALL YEAR !!"

No comments: