Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gobble! Gobble! - Waddle! Waddle!

Ahhh! Home from our second Thanksgiving meal of the week and feeling full!

No, he didn't eat off the table with us but he sure tried!

For the last 18 years or so, we've had Thanksgiving Dinner at my sister-in-law's. This year was no exception she has it down to an art and it seems to be flawless in all ways that count. ( Kudos to H!!!!)

We do, however, miss having leftovers at home this way. So, every year, somewhere close to Thanksgiving Day, we prepare a full turkey dinner, complete with all the appropriate sides, at home, too. Sometimes we have guests and sometimes it's just us. This year, I cooked on Wednesday and it was just us. Yep, just us and an 18 1/2 lb turkey and enough food to feed a family of at least 10!!! We definitely have leftovers, now!!
Those dark spots are simply the seasoned rub we used.
It was done perfectly!!


I'd have normally waited a week or so but I earned a free frozen turkey at my regular market and it didn't fit in the freezer. So, what's a gal to do? Thaw and bake, obviously. We also usually do our turkeys on the outdoor smoker but this dude was way too plump to fit under the hood.

I'd love to say that means I don't need to do any cooking for a few days but we've committed to a number of get-togethers all of which involve "bringing something". None of the "somethings" should be leftovers! So, I'll be back in the kitchen in the morning.

Tomorrow we'll be attending a Pie Party at my cousin's. She used to do a full sit-down Thanksgiving meal for the crowd, with everyone bringing an assigned dish but at some point, folks do get "turkeyed out," no matter how much they enjoy the menu. So, a few years ago, she revamped and renamed it. Now, everyone brings a pie and a finger food of some sort. It's really fun trying a bit of this and a bit of that. Amazingly, there is very little duplication in the pie arena. I think we each consider it a challenge to come up with something different and unique.

It took me till just a few minutes ago to decide what I'm making. (This is an annual event so I've had lots of time to plan.) I found a peach pie with a struesel type topping and you can use canned peaches in it. Sounds very simple and looks beautiful in the picture. Maybe I'll share a pic tomorrow with you.

Hope y'all had a great day, too!

No comments: