Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Did you make any resolutions this year?

I'm still thinking about mine. Sometimes, I wonder if they're really worth the effort.

A very outspoken observer if American life, Mark Twain is often quoted as saying this about New Year's resolutions:

"Now is the accepted time to make your annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving Hell with them as usual. Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink and swore his last oath. Today, we are a pious and exemplary community. Thirty days from now, we shall have cast our reformation to the winds and gone to cutting our ancient shortcomings considerably shorter than ever."

He's probably right.




Ann Landers gave out a lot of sage advice over the years and I often agreed with her take on life, so I found this New Year's advice to be somewhat bankable:

"Let this coming year be better than all the others. Vow to do some of the things you've always wanted to do but couldn't find the time. Call up a forgotten friend. Drop an old grudge, and replace it with some pleasant memories. Vow not to make a promise you don't think you can keep. Walk tall, and smile more. You'll look ten years younger. Don't be afraid to say, 'I love you'. Say it again. They are the sweetest words in the world."

For the last few years I have made resolutions along these lines and I believe I actually made some progress last year. I did locate and contact some old friends and I'm glad I did. There are a few more on my list I hope to catch up with in 2011. I did something as smple as a cute "Thinking of you" card and simply wrote "remembering the good times we had and missing you" above my signature. I added my current phone number and email address. All I can say is, thank goodness long distance phone service is so very reasonable these days!

I want to continue my efforts in staying more in touch with family. I've thoroughly enjoyed the company of my cousins in the past year or two. We had let some space squeeze in there as all went their separate ways raising families and such. We've now taken the get-togethers beyond the obligatory weddings and funerals. I make a point of visiting with the few remaining members of my parents' generation. When I accidently get a little too much time between visits, I take time to call and just say, "Hi." I've been well rewarded with copies of old photos and tales of long ago when my parents were young. It's amazing how many stories have been new to me. I thought I'd heard them all.

One of the biggies I want to work on is being a better wife. I haven't had complaints, mind you, but I think I can do better. He's a pretty good guy and I know I sometimes take him for granted. I want to make a more intentional effort. Maybe by putting it here, in writing, I'll be more aware of what I'm doing.

So, what are some of your resolutions ?

No comments: